Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Fun trip to the ER...

Last night, Billy took pictures of all of our super-heroes. The older 3 got dressed up in Ben's dress-up clothes and played in a "fort" daddy made hanging sheets from the bunk beds. After the fun was over, we got a light and read books inside the fort.


Our kids slept until 8 this morning. I got up, got the baby out of the crib, put biscuits in the oven and started cooking sausage. By 8:05 Ben was in his hulk attire. At 8:13 Ben was screaming that he had hit his head. I comforted him, and asked how. This was the response "I was trying to do a flip in the air and hit my head." This is when I saw the blood and knew. I carefully removed his hair from the bleeding area and found a nasty gash. At this point Ben had calmed down and I was trying not to laugh (I'm not heartless, innappropriate laughter is my coping mechanism and I couldn't get the picture of him trying to flip out of my head) then HE saw it. His hands had blood on them. Anyone with children knows that a scratch is a scratch -or in this case a gash is a gash - unless it bleeds. Blood makes the pain-o-meter go through the roof. I finally calmed him down and called our doctors office.

Our doctors office told us to go to the ER to get it stitched up - I'm not happy. Our co-pay just went up $70 and I was not pleased at the thought of the wait. FYI - Wednesday mornings at 9 am are a great time to go to the ER - we had their undivided attention.

Ben was timid when the triage nurse took his vitals. We were immediately put into a room and Ben chose to continue watching Sportscenter on TV instead of changing it to kid shows. Our nurse and resident came in to assess him. The nurse shakes his hand and says "Hi, my name is Evan." Ben replies, "I have a cousin named Evan." Ben relays his incredible hulk flipping in the air story and the doctor confirms that he needs a stitch. The two leave the room, but not before the nurse puts up the railing on Ben's hospital bed. This is when I wish I was my friend Kristi J. who ALWAYS has her camera with her. The railings on the hospital bed made for a perfect pretend gun. Ben has a wild imagination and began shooting spiders (no, there were not any real spiders in the ER at children's) then deer, then...Rudolph. At this point the nurse, and two doctors came in. Guess what? My son shot them too - and they played along. They pulled the privacy curtain and to Ben's shooting-crazed amazement it was decorated with animals - aka more targets. By this point we were all cracking up.

Ben was a trooper and layed still while they put one stitch in his head. I talked to the doctor (the resident actually did all the work) and we laughed about how I could have dropped him off, signed the papers, and had him call me to come pick him up. He left with one stitch, and the two syringes they irrigated his wound with, which happen to be the best water guns a $100 co-pay can buy.

The wound - post stitch.

I did learn that the attempted flip didn't happen, because he hit the corner of the wall first. I'm very thankful for a stitch, who knows what injury a flip would have caused! Ben said he "forgot" that he could only do flips in the air on trampolines.

Hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: