Tuesday, December 2, 2008

24 days of December

***I found the website!***

In an effort to make the holidays more relational, we are trying to do something "special" every day until Christmas. I got the idea from a new blog I found. I can't remember the URL, so I'll post it later. She did an advent calendar of sorts with an activity for each day. Some are fun, some are service, and some are religious. Being that I did not get my act together to actually make something, I am just flying by the seat of my pants this year!

Last night the Shrek Christmas special was on TV, so we watched it as a family.



Today this little guy showed up. AB has been asking for him, you know, she's the only 3rd grader who doesn't have one. We'll see how it goes. We named him Lightning Dart. Dart is what we will call him, but Ben thought lightening was cool - and we do like double names around here.


Tonight we went to see Santa. I was less than impressed. I don't want to dampen my holiday mood further, but I was looking more for the whole Santa experience and less for the picture. This Santa was not all about hugging and conversating with my kids, he was all about saying cheese and sending us on our merry way.



Ok, so I am going to rant about Santa. First of all, I normally wait until the last week before Christmas to go see him, which in turn leads to a 2 hour wait, but it has always been a great experience where Santa actually talks to my kids. That said only to let you know that there were about 5 other people in line. The family before us was done and waiting for their pictures - Santa's lap was empty and Ben walked up to him. Apparently you need to be called before approaching the throne of the great St. Nick at the Galleria Mall. Ben got reprimanded by the fat man himself and sent back to the holding area. We turn in our picture thing and she tells me I can only take 2 pictures with my camera. (I am a rule follower. I expect my kids to follow rules, so I do too.) I am paying $17 for 1 5x7, and there are no lines - can't I take pictures with my own camera? So, anyway, rather than gathering the kids up to find out what they want for Christmas, whether they have been good or bad, etc. He poses them for the picture!!!

After the picture was taken, he did ask the kids what they wanted (or I think they may have just told him), but no jovial small talk - no ho, ho, ho -not even a Merry Christmas. It was so commercial, so posed, so staged, so (as much as I hate to say it) Xmas.

In one week I have been reminded twice of the way we have turned this beautiful holiday about celebrating Emmanuel - God with us - into craziness. (I'll have to post about my experience in the electronics line in Target where I almost witnessed a fight in the wee hours of the morning last Friday). The whole basis for my quest toward more relational, family time this Christmas was to be reminded of why we celebrate in the first place. Jesus was born, lived and died to be in relation with us.

Oh and by the way, the inner rebel in me took 5 pictures!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We here in the towers were SO dissapointed this year b/c there is a "new" Santa...The "old" Santa kept his office on our floor and was super nice! I had such high hopes for this new one...too bad.

Kristi J said...

you are so funny...we love the elf thing too, hope the adoption is going well, kristi