Thursday, August 28, 2008

I Like to Smock, Not Nit

So here's the "are you kidding me?" update. I had a full weeks worth of events occur between the hours of 9 and 12 today.

Merrie Cannon has run a fever off and on this week. She went all day yesterday fever free, so I thought we were done with a nagging virus and she could go to school. Wouldn't you know that when I picked her up to put her shoes on (after getting her up, dressed, and fed all fever free) I noticed her armpits were very warm. I took her temp., and guess what? The fever was back. Since it had been on and off for 4 days I decided to go and take her to the doctor.

I had a meeting at the preschool, so I made an appointment on my way there. I dropped Ben off and sat in the back so MC wouldn't breathe on anyone. While I was in the meeting, my cell phone rang (which is one of my pet peeves, there are times when you should turn the thing off). I quickly muted the ring and checked my message when the meeting was over. It was the school nurse asking me to call her. I quickly returned her call, fully expecting to hear that AB had a fever and I needed to come get her. Not so much. Instead of having a fever...she has lice. So I quickly have them check Ben's head (he was clear) and race to pick her up before the doctors appointment. I get to the doctors office at 10:15 - exactly when our appointment was.

I usually wait a few days before I rush my kids to the doctor. I have paid too many $30 co-pays resulting in the "it's a virus, give them Tylenol." So, 4 days of fever and here we go. Strep test - negative. Blood work - normal. Guess what - "It's a virus. We are seeing these fever viruses and they last about 5 days." Really? One more day and I would have saved 30 bucks.

On my way to get lice shampoo, I return a call from my uncle. My cousin had a baby about 2 months ago. The baby's care is being monitored by Children's Services because she is unable to take care of it. My name was given to the case worker by my cousin as a possible placement for the child until she can get it together. Please pray for us concerning this. We really don't know what to do. We have lots of questions and are really seeking God's will in how we handle the situation.

All that before noon - and I haven't even shampooed a head yet. So, I call Billy and ask him to get Ben from school. MC - clear head and taking a nap, bless her little feverish heart! Abe - clear head. AB is getting shampoo on her head when Billy gets home. Billy - clear head. Me - not clear. I have them. I knew I would. AB and I have been cuddling up every night and reading together. That's what I get for trying to be a good mother.

So, I have been shampooing, and nitting, and washing, and drying and vaccuming. The dishes from this morning are still in the sink, along with the dishes from lunch, and this afternoon and tonight. I went through AB's head again before bed, picking more nits - and MC's, and Ben's, and Abe's, and Billy's - all still clear.

Sure Children's Services, bring us a baby. Watch out, don't step on that dead roach. If you see a live one, there is a fly swatter hanging in the laundry room. The 19 month old loves to swat them, just give it to him. Excuse the nastiness in the kitchen and the toys all over the house, I have been picking bugs out of our hair all day. You may not want to sit on that couch, it hasn't been decontaminated yet. Watch the mold in the kitchen, and one day we are going to get a bed. Welcome to the Ivey's.

Oh yeah, MC's eye is weeping green gooey stuff. Pink eye. Pink eye and lice - which one can we control first?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am so glad i cannnot compete with you. you are prayed for. holly

The Hebert Family said...

It sounds like you have has one crazy day. I wish I was around to help, but I love hearing about all the crazy things that go on with you all. It is still very quite around here. Angie

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart! As I was reading that, all I wanted to do was help!

I hope things are calming down a bit for you! If not~ ask for help! It has been 16years but I'll help with whatever I can!

Right now, I hope my prayers are enough!

Anonymous said...

I can always count on you for great LOL entertainment!! Your mom told me about your blog...I may be up all night reading. I think you should take your act on the road, You'd make a fortune. Holli A.