Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Expanding the Family

In a previous post, I mentioned getting a call from a social worker as a possible placement for my cousin's newborn. Well, we have moved from the possible category to the probable one. I have hesitated to write about this, because everything has been - and is still - up in the air. Right now we need prayer on a number levels.

The baby is in Ohio under the supervision of Children's Services, but they would like to place him with us. We live in Alabama. A lot of things have to happen in the legal department in order for this to happen because the child will be crossing state lines. Most of the time this takes around 6 months. We, meaning all parties involved, hope that we can expadite this process so he can come live with us sooner rather than later. Paperwork has been filed and there is a court date on Oct. 9 concerning his guardianship. Please pray that the judge will find in our favor concerning this.

My cousin (the mother) is a mess. It's a very complicated, sad situation. There is a real possibility that she may not be able to get the baby back. Please pray for her. I believe with all my heart that she is redeemable. Although she has done some really aweful things, God loves her as much as He does anyone else and He can do amazing things. Pray that my conversations with her and about her to others will honor Him.

Here's a little back story as to our decision to pursue this. When I found out I was pregnant with Abe, I was shocked - and done. My tubes were tied, and I was totally and completely at peace with that decision. No more babies. Period. I already got those crazy looks at Wal-Mart with 3 and pregnant. Total peace I tell you. Never questioned the decision. No more. We were even. Finished. Get the picture?

Then I went to a girls night with my friend and neighbor. I found out a girl I had met through her was adopting from Ethiopia. I thought how awesome that was. She had 4 kids and was adopting. Then it began. I started reading her blog and linking to other adoption blogs and weeping at how many children go to bed each night everywhere in the world without a mommy and a daddy. Weeping, I tell ya. 131 million orphans in the world. 131 million children who have no place to truly call home. No one to call mom or dad. I started to feel the tug to go get 1 (or all 131 million) of them.

Then bible verses started popping up.
"Religion that God our father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress." James 1:27

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me," Matthew 25:40

""...once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."(Proverbs 24:12)

I mean did God really put that in the Bible? I had heard them before but really. I'm done. Peace. Finished. Even. No more.

So after some prayer, in all MY wisdom, I thought that we would go to Ethiopia and bring home 2 sweet children. Billy got on board and it was set. In a year we would begin saving and start the process. This would give us time to get back on our feet after a tough financial time, figure out which state we would actually call home, make sure the new business was securely running, and have everyone potty trained by the time we brought a potentially unpotty trained child into our home. Enter God.

We get the call about the baby. There are many reason why we shouldn't do this. Some are selfish (starting with the whole not my plan thing) but most are complicated. At the end of the day, I really feel like God has practically placed a baby in need in my lap. To do anything but care for this baby would be disobedient to God.

We are excited about caring for this baby, and exhausted by the process all at the same time. We are optimistic that this will be short term, but prepared for the long haul. Yes, we are crazy. No, we don't have much room. Yes, we can love him like he was one of ours...and who knows how this story will end. I'll keep you posted.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

praying for you. continue to seek HIM. call anytime you need an ear. holly

Anonymous said...

I will be praying. I had no idea this was a possibility but I can't imagine a better home for a child. Y'all are wonderful and God put this on your heart for a reason!
Allison

Gwen Oatsvall said...

amazing story and i will pray for your journey ... the road to adopting, fostering, etc is always a whirly way, but the blessings at times are more than you could ever imagine ... I look forward to following your story ..

thanks for your sweet words on my blog !!!

The Hebert Family said...

WOW! I am so excited for you all. I know this is a crazy time right now but everything will work out the way it should. I will be praying for peace for you all. I hope I will get to meet your new addition one day soon.
P.S. I heard you were all up here a few weekend ago? I didn't see you.(hint,hint) Angie

Kim said...

I cannot believe how similar your story is to how God grew our family. If you are intersted in our domestic adoption (through family) journey you can read my three enteries (The Call, The Wait, and The Rescue). I will be praying for you!
Kim
Brentwood, TN

Kristi J said...

wow...I'm so excited for you guys and so amazed how God is working in your lives...He opened your heart for adoption and now you will have to sit back and see how it all works out in God's plan...simply amazing!! How did you find Kim?? She's local and I saw that you commented on her blog. So excited for you guys whether you adopted domesticall, internationally, or both...God Bless and I can't wait to see how all this plays out, Kristi Johnson

Kim said...

Feel free to contact me anytime. Navigating the foster care system was overwhelming at times. I would be honored to be a sounding board or help sheppard you through the system.
Blessings,
Kim
kim3bmiller@comcast.net